Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Is There Just No Hope?

I stopped by a local golf course today because I heard that it was "up for sale" and I had a few minutes. It's a little 9-holer with huge mature trees, a driving range, restaurant, pool, and a lot of cart storage. This is an older private club that has recently gone public after loosing all but a handful of members. I found out that they are offering $20 rounds of golf (nine or eighteen holes) with a cart! I understand that some may be better than none, but I don't see the benefit of giving away the farm in an attempt to draw a crowd!

With this course being right off the freeway I have driven by several times, but never taken the opportunity to stop in. After my visit today I have thought about what what might be holding this place back, and what opportunities they could take better advantage of. Here's what I have come up with:
  • It's not in the best part of town, but it has easy access on and off the highway.
  • There are three cheap hotels right next door, and they draw a lot of truckers (perfect potential clients perfect for a 9 hole course).
  • The city water treatment plant is right next door - potential use for reclaimed water.
  • The club is going to try and start a men's league on Thursday nights.
  • There are no juniors clinics or program despite the shorter layout.
  • The restaurant has plenty of seating and a great view!
  • There is a bar area, with even more seating in addition to the restaurant.
  • The course is adjacent to additional undeveloped land.
  • Parking is limited, but could be expanded.
My thoughts are that this club got stuck in a rut and wasn't able/willing to make the necessary changes to continue to draw new clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment